No. 143-Asia Wall

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Hi, hello!! I'm back on this glorious Saturday, to share with you another bit of my apartment. This little project of mine is slowly coming together.

I love how this photo captures 2 walls of my apartment (and the BF for your viewing pleasure ;) both of which feature the decor theme, travel.

This particular wall is China themed and the first thing I see when I walk into my apartment.

I lived in Asia for 4 months, at the end of 2008, and I was fortunate enough to travel to many different countries during that time. China was by far and away the country that had the most impact on me. I've never felt more embraced by a country or it's people. One of these days, I'll get around to sharing more of my lovely stories. But for now, I'll just stick with the eye candy.

The wall features a few treasures I picked up during my travels.
  1. Books: the whole reason for my visit to China, was for research into my thesis (financing the Chinese healthcare system). So naturally, I had to do some initial research on the PRC. I picked up a few books, both fiction and non, to help me get a better feel for the country. I think they're gorgeous in and of themselves. The floating shelf I used was just wide enough to accommodate a few, as well as my tiny collection of clear glass vases and bottles.
  2. Scarf: while I was in China, I visited the Forbidden Palace. It was an enthralling experience, let me tell you. Naturally, I wanted to bring home something special to remember it by, so I purchased 2 scarves (1 for me, 1 for Mama). They've been sitting in plastic for 2 years, until I finally was able to pull one out to showcase it here. Thank you IKEA for having such an oddly shaped frame! It's so hard to find square frames in sizes larger than 12x12. I also picked up a little aloe (we think) plant from there. I love the touch of green it adds...and the fact that I only have to water it once a week!
  3. Paper Doilies: We were in Shanghai for a few days and I came across these lovely paper doilies. I loved the bright red color and the delicate designs. And when I say delicate, I mean delicate!! I backed them with tan cardstock and framed them in 12x12 scrapbook frames.
  4. Framed Photo: The Great Wall. Oh man, is that thing great. We got up close and personal with 6 k of it the day we decided to hike it. It seriously kicked my butt but I wouldn't have traded the experience for anything. And look what my little point and shoot turned out. I'm very proud of you point and shoot, almost didn't think you had it in you.
Thus concludes this week's tour of No. 143. Thanks for stopping by!

xxbesos

2 comments:

  1. i love this beyond words. gorgeous decor!
    hi matt!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this too - what a nice view to see when you walk in and it 'means' something to you, and not just another project...I sometimes find I need to reflect better on what I want to create, so now you've got me thinking! :)

    ReplyDelete