Camp Scrap Review

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Evening everybody! I hope you all had as awesome a weekend as I was fortunate to have. Like I mentioned, I was off in Austin celebrating my bestie. We had sooooo much fun! Added a ton of awesomeness to our memory bank. And a hoard of a new photos to my scrapbook pile! Unfortunately, back to the real world tomorrow....

It's not all bad. In the morning I get new content from an awesome class! I'm in the midst of Hello Story with Ali Edwards. Sooo good guys. So seriously good. Consider it if you haven't already, will ya?!  

Until then, I wanted to post a quick review on another Big Picture Classes workshop, Camp Scrap with May Flaum


Those are all the projects I completed during Camp Scrap (see them all using this link):
6 Layouts
4 Cards
1 Daybook
1 Mixed Media Piece

For a 4 week class, I think I did pretty well! Especially considering I really didn't have a lot of time to do any of this in.

So here are my quick thoughts on Camp Scrap:

  • The class had tons of prompts and daily e-mails. (Initially I thought I'd get overwhelmed, but May was great about focusing on only one thing at a time, so I never felt inundated.)
  • There were lots of mini classes with a variety of topics. 
  • It was a fun positive atmosphere. 

Maybe I should back up a second to talk about my motivation for taking this workshop. Of course, I wanted to learn but mainly I wanted to participate in a community, pick up a few tricks or techniques, and really just use some stash! I managed all of those things and got to tick off a few items on my list of summer goals =)

Most helpful was the all of the mixed media content May provided, which was fairly new to me. I also learned to appreciate the full suite of Tim Holtz distress products. I'm in love!! But back to the class....

What I liked:
  • Loved that content was released on Thursdays. Perfect intro to the weekend!
  • Loved the anything goes with regard to projects 
  • The variety of the content was great and very diverse
  • May herself is so enthusiastic. She makes you excited to participate 
What I wished was different:
  • Content more evenly dispersed as opposed to a huge influx of "bonus" material all at the end
  • Make and take handouts! Could have used a few of these, especially for the more detailed ones
  • Maybe a variety of styles? I appreciate May's particular aesthetic, but would have liked to see other approaches. I think guest contributors would have been fun!
  • Super picky and not anything to do with May's class specifically, but I wish the thumbnails on the BPC site were bigger! It's hard to see the images easily.
All in all, I really enjoyed the class. I did pick up some tricks. I did use up some stash. I did have fun! I'd probably take this class again, if it had new content. It' was a great way to start a season of summer crafting that's for sure. It helped kick off my summer scrapbooking and still has me excited to play!

Did anyone else take it? What were your thoughts? I'd love to hear and to see any projects you might have made! I always enjoy seeing different takes on the same prompts!

cheers & besos,

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!