Bookmarked

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

I've been getting inspired lately! And most of my inspiration has been coming from my Craft Inspiration pinterest board. I collect all kinds of things here: good design, quotes, color combos. 

This week, I decided to share some projects inspired by my Pins.

For my first project, I picked this pin for inspiration. I love the design, the colors, the quote of this print (at least I think it's a print). And for my scrapbook page, I used the design and the colors as jumping off points. The quote I'll keep tucked away for another page.

(Pin)

This is the resulting page. And btw, I love it!!

My circle punch attacked some patterned paper scraps and with some adhesive and ruler-ing (yup, made it up) I had my own custom background.


I used the reading stamp set from an old Studio Calico release, one that I bought because I liked it but then had no idea when/what I would actually use it for. I've been pleasantly surprised by the number of times these stamps have made their way onto my pages.


I also used an Oromulu badge and some thickers for the title.


And then tucked in a bit of ribbon to replicate the bookmark. To finish, I layered an inked wood veneer heart over a stamp to give it more dimension.


Oh, and in case you're wondering where the journaling is, I hid it behind the photo. Usually, I have the photo flip up to reveal the journaling, this time I had it open like a book.

Journaling Reads:

I love to read, & so does my mother. When I was little, we’d just lay in bed reading our books together. It was one of my favorite ways to spend time with her.

We don't necessarily like to read the same books. Only sometimes do our tastes overlap, & I’ll suggest a book she should read – like The Grapes of Wrath but only every other chapter. Or she’ll send me something I might enjoy, like Honolulu
by Alan Brennert.

The other day I was sitting on the bus on my way to work, reading that book she had sent, when I flipped the page & found her bookmark. It was a photo I had e-mailed her, two baby elephants with their trunks wrapped around each other. I sent it & told her it was us.

I love that photo. And it warms my heart to picture her printing it out & using it as her bookmark. But the magical thing about it was that the photo of “us” made it’s way back to me. Finding it in that book made me feel so connected to my Mama.

Our love for books still brings us together, even though we live far apart.

cheers & besos,

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!