This is Why I Scrapbook

Sunday, January 31, 2010


If you've been wondering about my "This is why I scrapbook" icon, this will explain it all. At the beginning of the year, Shimelle posed a question her blog, "why do we scrapbook?" Then, she upped the ante by challenging her loyal bleaders to create a project, depicting why each of us chooses to scrapbook. Thus, the This is Why I Scrapbook: A Creative Adventure for January, began.

The entire concept had me inspired and that night, in early January, I remember not being able to sleep, my mind was bursting with so much inspiration. Then, at about 4.36 am it came to me. "I Scrapbook Because I..." [Paint] Can. The idea instantly appealed to me for three solid reasons:
  1. It evolved out of a pun. And if you know me, you know I enjoy a good pun.
  2. I've never altered a paint can before but was excited about the possibility of working with new materials.
  3. Color would inevitably be involved, and a lot of color at that. [Refer to my last post concerning color. Hint: I.love.it! ]
This was my little labor of love and ingenuity. It's been stewing in my head since that weekend Shimelle gave us to concoct it. But it wasn't until this week that I sat down to put it all together. I decided on a two part project, (1) a decorated paint can which would double as a *Mini* book holder and an inspiration can and (2) an actual mini book of 10 reasons why I scrapbook.

After attempting this project on the smaller paint can, I knew I needed a bigger size. Once that was figured out, the can decoration came together rather quickly. The photo featured on the front is a shot of some of my latest and greatest pages, pinned up to our rickety old fence. Realizing the can need a bit more oomph, I added tons of gorgeous ribbons to the handle. Then, I lightened up the inside with some bright turquoise cardstock and black and white hounds-tooth ribbon. Viola! My inspiration can came to being!

The second part, was the actual *mini* book. Using the chipboard from a 4 page Scene Route chipboard album, I quickly pulled together the base for my mini. The rest of the page inserts, dum dah dum...are paint samples! Yet another stroke of genius on my part. I pulled some of my favorite photos and coordinating embellishments, to create every page. The theme of each, is a reason why I scrapbook.

Matt is a big reason why I scrapbook. It's already so interesting to read about the beginning of our relationship and to see how far we've come. It's been a long time since I've had a real boyfriend and partner, so it makes me happy that I get to scrapbook about our lives together (well, kind of) and as Matt puts it, "to within an inch of [our] lives."

I've had the great privilege to live in some exotic locals and simply documenting my homes and my life in these cities, is so important to me. This is another way for me to look back and see the person that I was and how each of these experiences has shaped me into the person I am today.
Travel! Travel, travel, travel! It's typically the number one way us scrapbookers first got started in the craft. We all have vacation and travel photos just dying to be told about and remembered for years and years to come.

I chalk my life up to a series of experiences. Some things I never in a million years dreamed I would get to do, and others are simply ways to relax and enjoy life. This is a photo of Matt and I, from last years musical experience: ACL Music Festival. It was his first time and my fourth but it was by far and away the most memorable ACL for both of us. I'll never forget the mountains of mud that swept across the grounds and the amazing performers we got to see. Now, I have a visual representation that conjures up those cherished memories!

I would be nothing without my friends and they are a big enough reason in and of themselves, for me to scrapbook. I especially love these two girlies and we have a million and one memories together, that merit being remembered. I'm so thankful for the loving extended family that exist in my closest friends.

I truly understood the importance of scrapbooking and memory preservation, this last year when Uncle Joe passed away. Seeing this picture, still gets to me. It's hard for me to believe that he's really gone. But I'm thankful for this picture. I'm thankful for the time I got to spend with him and the small amount of support I was able to provide for him. I love and miss him so much and I never want to forget his face. I'm thankful that my hobby can help my family to continue to cherish and celebrate his life!

Like I mentioned in my journaling, I'll fight anyone who claims to have a cuter mama than me! She's downright adorable and truly my best friend. I don't know what I would ever do without her and I'm so happy that we got to capture this day in Rome, when both of us lost it to giggles for no apparent reason. Typical Mama and me!

Elephant trekking and hiking the Great Wall of China. Need I say more?! Who wouldn't want to preserve these precious memories and two wonderful experiences. Thank goodness I have the photos, or I'd hardly believe I did either of these things myself.

Ask me who my favorite person in the entire world is, and I'll be able to tell you in a heartbeat. Let me give you a hint, he's tiny and adorable, almost able to walk and slowly transitioning from a baby into a little boy. If you guessed Urijah John, my little nephew, then you guessed correct. This little guy makes my entire world go round! I feel so privileged to be his aunt, to paparazzi him constantly and to get to cherish every minute of his dear little life. Who wouldn't want to remember his cute little baby button butt!

Finally, my parents are a huge influence on my hobby. Ever since I was a little girl, they've encouraged my creativity, supported my crazy wardrobe decisions, wacky wall painting schemes, and financed my junky style art supply shopping habit. I would be not be the person I am today (nor the scrapbooker either) without my parents and their continual support and constant encouragement. [Wow! This reads of a bad award acceptance speech!] But it's true none the less.

The last bit of my project was this star book style *mini* created out of neutral paint chips. I'm not quite sure what's going to go into this, but it's an entirely blank canvas just brimming with possibility.

So there you have it. I feel so beyond blessed to have found a hobby that totally embodies my personality, that challenges my creativity, and allows me to express myself in an artistic manner. As I was, once upon a time ago, an Art major, then a Photography major, scrapbooking is an equal measure of each, with a dash of Journalism and a pinch of Engineering (yeah, that's a stretch ;) throw in for good measure. The idea of creating a project that explains all of this had me more inspired then possibly I ever have been. Perhaps you can see that, looking back at some of my blog posts from this month.

My question for you, if you scrapbook, why do you choose to scrapbook?

xxbesos
j.leija

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Really, really beautiful! I love the can and how you used the paint samples in the mini album! Your work is so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie, this is absolutely stunning. I am in love with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To answer your question...I scrapbook because I hope to some day be as creative and talented as Jamie! And also because I wanted to document a trip to Thailand, and then I wanted to have some cool layouts to remember the fun I have with my long distance boyfriend, and then because I thought a family scrapbook would be a cool gift for my parents (if I ever finish it)....and on and on and on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your idea and how it all connects to paint/color. A creative lady you are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE your ideas and using paint chips as pages is a stroke of genius (and I'm stealing that idea). I've used them as embellies, but what perfect pages they make! You did a great job on your book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! what a unique and creative project! i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. T-totally awesome and I too am gonna lift the idea-I have tons of those lying in one of my scraptotes...great gift idea too!

    kateB
    www.kateblue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete